Saturday, March 1, 2014

A New Perpective

Perspectives is just what we needed.  

A new and broader "perspective" on life and mission for God.
Any Christian that is serious about their faith, whether planning for cross-cultural mission work or not, should take this class and rejoice in what God is doing in the world!

On the first day of class, we were handed the 700+ page book! It was rather intimidating at first, but the lessons are spread over 15 weeks, making it a bit more manageable.  
(PS: It also helps to quit your job!)
 
We have joined with 30 others and meet on Sunday evenings at Central church.  Brilliant instructors are flown in from all over the nation to share with our class and we feast upon their wisdom and experience.  Last week, our assignment was to recap what we've learned in class thus far.

Melissa's thoughts:

Many people have asked me what I have learned from Perspectives so far.  My most common "short answer" is that I used to view the Bible as a series of unconnected short stories, but now I see it as so much more.  The first five lessons of Perspectives has allowed me to see the larger, coherent Story of the broadening glory of God across the earth and throughout all generations.  The Bible is one story.  It is the story of God's glory reaching all peoples.  I can now see that He chose Israel, not to be a group that is more loved than the rest, but to be a conduit of God's blessing to the rest of the world.  God desires that those who know Him will spread the blessing of this relationship to the rest of the world while destroying the works of the Evil One and bringing praise to God.  No one is to be left out. 

My desire is to become so enraptured with the glory of God that I will stop at nothing to see Him worshiped in every nation.  I want my heart to be so focused on Christ that I will endure hardship and suffering with joy for His name's sake.  I desire to defy the Devil's schemes and destroy his works in my life and those around me.  And I eagerly accept the challenge and responsibility to become an active part of the Kingdom of God as His will advances in the world.


Keith's thoughts:

In this class I have enjoyed feasting on God's word along with the variety of articles compiled to form the overwhelming yet transforming Perspectives text book.  The teachings have been both practical and theoretical.

This is one new insight I have gained from a well-known Psalm. It fits perfect for our season of life.

"Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path."  
                          - Psalm 119:105 (NLT)

The high-powered lamps we purchase today aren't particularly helpful to convey this message.  Rewind about 3,000 years and enter into David's life time.  He would have used a lamp by tying one end of a long string to it and holding the other end in his hand so the lamp hangs down directly in front of his feet.  It provided just enough light for the path ahead so he could take the next step in confidence.  It wasn't a strong beam of light that clearly lit the entire path, or even a large portion of it - just the next step.  The quote that I heard goes something like this: "It's not about how far you can see to go ahead; just go ahead as far as you can see."

That's where we are at and that is what we are doing.  God's word is life and direction and we are soaking in the richness.
 Join us in this journey as we walk one step at a time in the light of God's word.


No comments:

Post a Comment